Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Year Reflections

I don't like to make New Year's resolutions. I feel like that is a big set up to fail. But I do appreciate the chance for a fresh start and a time to reflect on the past and future.

This last year I took the opportunity to use my time off call by traveling and visiting friends. We went to Utah to be with Mario's family. I always love my time with them. While there I met up with my friend, Stefani. It was great to spend a day swimming with her and her kids. On the way home from Utah we spent a weekend in Joseph, OR surrounded by many friends we consider family. What an amazing weekend that was! So great that Me, Emilia, Calli and Cleo went back for a girls weekend at the end of the summer. There was also a couple of beach trips, a mountain weekend, a spa weekend and Great Wolf Lodge. It is so important to take the time to get away when most of your time is spent on call. Being on call is something that no one can truly understand or appreciate unless they've been there.

This next year I really hope to find the time and money to take a "real" vacation.....and by real I mean no kids, sandy beaches and sun for at least one week. I don't think this will be the year for my New York trip, but that will happen!

I also made it to Nashville twice in 2010 to visit family. One visit was a Midwifery conference that I combined with a trip to my sister's. Her husband is battling cancer and I was so grateful to have that time with her and her family. As my wonderful brother in law and my own father continue to battle this disease of cancer I am filled with an awareness of the healing power of God and the precious moments we have on earth. I am trying my best to let go of petty grievances and focus on the good of people and the joy that fills my life. It is not always an easy task, but one that I am putting on the top of my list for 2011.

We also enjoyed many visits to our home from far away family. We loved having them and welcome them with open arms whenever they want to come back!

In 2010 I did something that I thought I would never do. I signed up for a boot camp and stuck with it for 12 weeks. It kicked my butt (even though I only lost a few pounds). At times I was frustrated that I didn't loose weight, but mostly I felt so good I just kept going back. My teacher has continued a workout class throughout the winter that I have been going to 2-3 times a week. 

For 2011 I hope to continue with my commitment to a healthier lifestyle. To exercise, eat local and healthy food and enjoy life. I want to get back to my meditation practice. I want to consistently get to bed earlier. I want to craft more, journal more, blog more. I want to learn something new.

Do you make New Year's resolutions? Why or why not?

2 comments:

mais said...

Hi friend- i love this blog. I haven't set any new years resolutions either and I like your look on the whole thing. Luke and I are taking our first "real"vacation this month. We are headed to hawaii with no kids. I am both happy and sad about that...but it is long overdue. We havent ever been w/o kids in 10 years!!! I too want to make it New York some day, that is my dream vaca.
Anyway, love to read your blog and it looks like you had a great holiday season. Here's to 2011!! Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelli, I have been planning a real vacation for years, in my head that is. I agree that we all need time to relax and most people don't relax enough me included.
I didn't make new years resolutions because so many things are changing for us already with the move and job change.
But I do want to exercise more and eat better. And really play and take a vacation.