Saturday, January 15, 2011

Getting my Crafty On

Cutting the fabric into 6" squares

About 250 squares of fabric

Cutting the batting

Monica and Karen helping with the assembly

Squares all laid out

Planning the pattern

The strips are sewn together.

The strips being sewn together.

Finished! And someone else is snuggling MY blankie!


I wanted to learn something new and here it is.

While I was visiting my friend Karen she has some beautiful quilted blankets that she made that I just fell in love with. They looked simple enough to make so I decided I was going to give it a try. Good thing I waited until Karen was in town to help me. I don't think I could have figured it out on my own. I now think I'm ready with my new skills to try it on my own. There is already another blanket in the works! (Emilia's project this time.)

I learned quite a few things during this project:
* I love to craft. I have put it aside for far too long. Now I have several projects on the table and I am motivated to keep going.
* I thread the needle of the sewing machine with my left hand, even though I'm right handed. And I thread a regular needle with my right hand. Weird.
* I made a lot of mistakes that I know I won't make the next time.
* Quilting is messy. 
* I freaking love fabric. I get all excited in the fabric store, but I've never been able to indulge with no sewing skills. Watch out Craft Warehouse....Here I Come!
* It is more fun to take on a project with a friend.
* Being alone is good too. I got lost in the work.
* I'm crazy proud of this accomplishment.
* I never intended for the blanket to match my living room, but holy cow does it match! I guess I do like those colors.

2 comments:

breathethelove said...

That is freakin' amazing! I can't believe you finished it already! And it's beautiful. Seeing you and your house in those photos made me feel so wistful and sentimental...love you!

Kelli said...

You miss Amos, don't you?