Monday, January 24, 2011

I Made My Own Deodorant!



I stopped wearing antiperspirant many years ago. I've been wearing a natural deodorant that I like, but it does not stop the wetness and odor as well as I'd like. For heavy duty days I do turn to my Dry Idea. Though even that doesn't seem to do the job anymore!


While researching recipes online to make my own shampoo (more on that later) I found several for deodorant. I finally am giving it a try.

Here is the recipe:
1 part baking soda
3 parts corn starch
essential oil
optional: coconut oil


Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container. If you choose to add the coconut oil, add enough to moisten the ingredients. You may place in a deodorant container for ease of application. I just put mine in a container and scrape out about a pea size for each underarm.

I made it both ways to see which I liked best. I like the one with the oil because it's easier to apply. The dry ingredients get spilled on the counter and floor (think baby powder!). I am loving my new deodorant. I think it is as good as, if not better than the stuff I have been using. It does not stop perspiration. But I do think my odor is improved. I make Mario smell my pits every once in awhile to make sure!


Here is the Shampoo I've been using for awhile:
1 part baking soda to 3 parts water. Place in bottle and shake well before using. Apply liberally to dry hair. Massage into scalp and leave in for 1-2 minutes. Rinse well. Follow up with hair rinse.

Hair Rinse:
1 part vinegar to 3 parts water. Optional: essential oil. Place in bottle and shake well before using. Apply to hair and rinse immediately.

I was using essential oil in the hair rinse, but I stopped because I felt that the scent was overpowered by the vinegar. Your hair will smell like vinegar after rinsing, but it seems to disappear as your hair dries. 

I do love this shampoo, but I alternate using it with regular shampoo occasionally. I don't know why. I guess the idea that I "should" be using shampoo once in awhile. I just found some more recipes that seem a little more traditional. They are on my to-do list and I'll update after I try them out.

Here is a recipe that I will probably try:

Combine
  • 1/4 cup distilled water
  • 1/4 cup liquid Castile Soap - I use unscented, but you can choose your favorite
  • 2 tsp jojoba oil, grape seed oil, or other light vegetable oil
  • 1/8 tsp peppermint essential oil
  • 1/8 tsp tea tree essential oil
Mix all ingredients and then add 1/4 cup distilled water.
Store in a bottle. Use as you would any shampoo, rinse well.

No comments: