Monday, January 17, 2011

My Primary Class

When I was released from Young Women's a couple of months ago I thought my heart was going to break. I had worked with this group of young women for 41/2 years as a counselor and then as the president. I have such a deep love for them. The commitment of time and energy and love to these girls is unlike any other. I spent Sundays and Wednesday's with them at a minimum. I also had planning meetings. Not to mention they were always on my mind.

Then suddenly it was gone.

I'm not going to lie, one whole month without a calling felt indulgent. I needed that time off to recover emotionally. I didn't think I was ready to accept a new calling, but I was not surprised when it came. I am now teaching the 10-11 year old Sunday school class. I have a very large class, 8 boys and 3 girls who typically come. And a few are challenging.

But they are bright and energetic and I am having fun getting to know them. I have had to adapt my teaching to a new age group, which was a challenge at first. I'm beginning to get the hang of it, and I am even beginning to enjoy it. There is a little more room for fun with this age group.

And hey, I'm using candy to get what I want.

It works!

I bring a small jar of candy each week. If they bring their scriptures they get a piece. I also try to give them some kind of challenge (like memorizing a scripture) or homework assignment each week and if they accomplish it they get another piece. 

If they memorize all the books in the New Testament then they get their favorite full size candy bar. Some really like the challenge. Some could care less. But they are bringing their scriptures every week!

Here is a picture of them from this last Sunday. I had them act out the story of John the Baptist. Unfortunately half the class was missing, so they got to perform it for me. But it was still fun.

No comments: