Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Tragedy


Parker & Sean-WOW Addicts!

While at Girls Camp this week a tragedy in our family happened. While swimming in the Sandy River, Parker and Jordan's roommate, Sean, drowned. All this happened right in front of the boys, who did everything they could to save him.

While I am at camp I have no cell phone coverage and there is no way to call up to the camp. It is also not usually allowed that the leaders leave camp unless it is urgent. But some divine intervention took place because the night of the drowning, our camp leader gave all of the leaders the night off. She also gave me and my partner permission to run into town to go to the store. Minutes after gaining cell coverage my phone rang. It was Parker, beyond upset, telling me what had happened. I was so grateful for the circumstances that enabled me to talk to my son after such a tragedy. I was able to call Mario so that he could be at the boys apartment as they arrived home. And I was also able to call the boys' dad. The boys said they did not want me to come home from girls camp, but I was able to call them many times the rest of the week from the camp office phone. It was difficult to be away from them, but I also knew there was not much I could do for them. They were surrounded by many friends over the next several days.

I was so thankful that the lives of my sons were sparred. I was sad and afraid of the danger our children put themselves in. We teach them and pray for them, yet we have to send them out into the world to make their own choices and suffer the consequences. This is the way of the world that God has given us. He has given us our free agency so that we can learn and grow, and part of that is to suffer. I suffer as I watch my children suffer. I give thanks for their safety and life today!

Sean Thomas Chancellor, you are in Heaven with those who love you! You will be missed!


CYO Basketball League Champs
(Jordan, middle right; Sean, right)

No comments: