Friday, July 25, 2008

The Business of Being Born

For date night tonight (no kids were home!) we went to Cha, Cha, Cha (yeah! We have one in Milwaukie now!), the library (it was closed), then home to watch a movie. My husband loves me so much that he sat through the entire documentary The Business of Being Born

This is my third time watching this movie and I am never bored by the power of it's message. Ricki Lake did a fabulous job of making a honest movie about midwives and homebirth that would appeal to the general population.

The statistics are mind boggling. As a nation we should be worried that the cesarean section rate increased by 41% between 2000 and 2006. In 2006 the national average for cesarean births was 31%. The World Health Organization recommends a cesarean rate of no more than 15%. Yet 1 in 3 babies are now born via surgical procedure. According to the documentary the United States has the 2nd worst infant mortality rate of developed countries!

I believe that every woman, young woman, teenager and parent to be should see this movie. It is important to know what is happening to women in regards to birth and know that if every woman is educated and given true informed consent then she can choose the birth she wants. I am pro-homebirth and admit to my passion surrounding this issue. I do not believe that every woman should have a homebirth. I do believe that every woman deserves to be informed. I am not against hospital birth. I am grateful for the surgeons (OB's) who are skilled in surgical deliveries necessary in some emergencies. I am skilled in normal vaginal labor and birth.

Here is a sweet waterbirth if you are interested. Not all births are this quiet! This mom was practicing hypnobirthing.

And if you want to watch The Business of Being Born I now own my own copy and would be happy to lend it out!

No comments: