Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Lion and the Lamb together

I can not over emphasize the MIRACLE in this moment.

Since the day we brought Amos home Ava and Lucy's quality of life declined. They were TERRIFIED of this new creature we brought home. While Amos took over the house, the cats hid in the basement or scurried outside.

I studied information on bringing new pets into the home and tried to follow all the "rules". I tried to be patient. It seemed that I should have been seeing progress within a month or two. But 6 months passed and I wasn't sure there was any progress.

Recently though I have noticed some changes. There are clear boundaries drawn from each of the animals and there is a circle of dominance.

Ava dominates Lucy;
Lucy dominates Amos;
Amos dominates Ava.

It's quite hilarious!

It seems that they've all settled into their roles in the family. And I'm feeling good seeing some progress. And now Ava and Amos have actually shared "a special moment" together.

2 comments:

Danelle Grossnickle said...

That is so sweet! I never thought our huge "cat hating" Rottweiler/black lab would ever get used to our cats but now I find the cast sleeping right on top of him and he even looks like he is smiling:)

Quincy said...

That picture is so cute. I love how you know the personality of each animal, and the dynamic they contribute to the family. That photo should go in some
cat/dog-lovers magazine!