Yesterday on our way out we passed an old man lying in the snow and ice just a few houses away from ours. Mario didn't even see him. I saw him, but absentmindedly. It was only after we passed him that I realized the seriousness of what I saw. I made Mario slide to a stop, reverse and help him. Poor gentleman had gone to get his mail, (no hat, no gloves, thin jacket.....it was FREEZING out there) he fell and the best we could figure he had been lying on the ice for ten minutes. He was bleeding, shaking and unable to speak much. When we lifted him off the ground he was unable to stand, so we held him until another neighbor came out with a blanket, hat, and chair for him to sit on. He seemed pretty hurt, especially complaining about his hip, so we called 911. It took another 10 minutes for them to get to us, but they were kind and thoughtful and we left him in good hands. It was so scary to me that he could have been laying out there in the cold for any longer if we hadn't decided to brave the ARCTIC BLAST and go to Ikea.
Today was an even better day! Woke up to a mom calling in labor. I decided to ask Mario to drive me to the birth. I knew the roads were relatively clear, but I was worried about the hill that they lived on being steep and icy (it was!) and I didn't want to get stranded by myself. We picked up my apprentice on the way, and in the excitement and adrenaline, we didn't check the address of the house and went to the wrong house! Waking up a poor woman at 7:30 am to two women and one man and a whole load of baggage! We apologized and then headed up the street a little farther to the correct house, that seriously looks just like the wrong house! A sweet baby girl was born a little over an hour later. A surprise breech. When we first walked into the house the mom said she thought the baby was breech. I palpated but didn't concur. We heard heart tones low on mom's belly and were reassured until we saw a steady stream of meconium. Not a lot, but enough. By the time we knew it was breech, she was coming fast, just a couple minutes later she slid right out. Mom lifted her out of the water and that little girl lifted her head up in a way I have never witnessed---I mean she REALLY lifted her head---and looked each one of us present at her birth straight in the eyes, telling each of us of her presence. It was a blessing.
I began this year with a surprise breech birth that ended in a death. I ended this year with a surprise breech birth of a healthy baby. Both girls, with heads full of dark hair, beauty beyond looks, and loved by many. I thank them both for their gifts to me, for the journey they have helped me take.
So much to be thankful for.
And now I'm off call for the holidays!
And now I'm off call for the holidays!
1 comment:
That was a beautiful story about the breech births. How amazing that she looked right at each one of you! You get to have such great experiences! I had a birth last week that went so smoothly and was incredible!
Post a Comment