Thursday, December 25, 2008

Mitten Making


Here is some of my Martha Stewart magic. So easy I just had to share. Use an old 100% wool sweater (I bought some at my favorite thrift store, "Red, White & Blue". Wash the sweater in hot water, and dry it on hot heat. This will "felt" the wool (making it tight, so you can cut the sweater and it not unravel). Next make a pattern for your mitten. I traced my hand and added a 1/2 - 1 inch to it. The first pair I made were a little tight, the next pair a little large. You may have some trial and error, or you may not be as picky as I am!

Next, pin the pattern through both layers of sweater and cut out. Repeat for the other hand. Sew together using a zig zag stitch. I didn't use the zig zag stitch the first time and it made a difference in durability.
Here is the finished product of my purple ones. I gave Mario the grey stiped above and he LOVES them. I'm not kidding, that wool keeps your hands warm and dry. And we had plenty of opportunity to try them out the last 12 days during our "Arctic Blast".

2 comments:

Danelle Grossnickle said...

Very cool idea, thanks for sharing! I love Red , white and blue too!

Anonymous said...

Cute Kelli!!!!