Another sweet baby girl born this morning on her parents 10th wedding anniversary. It was the first birth that my apprentice and I have attended together in 6 months, and we were excited!
We left the family snuggled in bed around 4am, with our stomaches aching for a yummy breakfast. We wanted to eat at Shari's, because Denny's seemed a little scary. But when we headed over to the Jantzen Beach area there was only a Denny's. We were looking for a phone booth to look up the closest Shari's. Did you all know it's hard to find a phone booth these days? So Kelly (my wonderful apprentice) went into Denny's to ask for a phone book to look up Shari's. I found a lot of humor in this. She brought the phone book out to the car (more humor) and said that we would NOT be eating at Denny's! But we found a Shari's nearby, so with address and Thomas Guide in hand it seemed that our hunger pains would soon be fed.
HA HA
Everywhere we went we ran into dead ends, no through streets, right turn only-when we wanted to turn left, and illegal u-turns. We were laughing, cursing and throwing our hands up as we drove circles around Delta Park, freeway underpasses and some very dark roads for nearly 45 minutes, with fierce determination to eat at Shari's. OK, I was raised in this town, so I should know better, but the lack of sleep, the company I keep and my grumbling stomach kept me pressing on. I don't know why we didn't just get back on the freeway, figuring that we would see the Shari's from there, but like I said...it was well past 4am at this point, and does anyone think clearly at that hour?
When we finally made it to Shari's (and every single Shari's I've ever been in is too cold) we were the only ones in the restaurant and had the funnest waitress. As crazy as it all was, we were having a good time.
With my belly full I rolled into the driveway about 5:45am, wrote an email, called the lab for a pick-up, and went to bed. But the adventure didn't stop there....
I had on my calendar "10:00am" written down, with no name. I'd been pondering this for days, wondering if I had an appointment I forgot about or what. To be on the safe side I decided to set my alarm, be awake and somewhat presentable "just in case", and besides, I needed to take Savannah to work at 10:30am. After only a few hours of sleep I did not hear the alarm over the hum of the air conditioner and woke up at 9:58am. I stumbled to the family room to see Savannah, who needs to be at work in 32 minutes, deep in dream land. As I rouse her I hear a car door shut, look out the window and see a woman getting a toddler out of her car in my driveway.....holy crap! I have an interview at 10am! I urgently tell Savannah to answer the door, greet the woman, lead her to my office and tell her I will be a few minutes. I run to the bathroom where I undress, brush my teeth and shower in 3 minutes (I am not exaggerating!), peek my head in the office with explanations and apologies, then dress in about 2 minutes. 5 minutes late to the interview, somewhat presentable, and completely unnerved. I loved the woman and her darling son, but it will be a miracle if she hires me.
No comments:
Post a Comment