Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Band-aid

Koen's mama wasn't feeling well today so I offered to pick him up from preschool. Lucky me, I always love the opportunity to hang out with the grandkids. Koen wasn't as excited about hanging out with me, but that was ok.

As soon as I buckled him into his car seat my phone rang. The sister in law of my over due client said it was time to come, a baby was coming. Really. Labor was in full force and they were in the car on their way home from shopping and I needed to come quick.

Oh, boy!

I explained to Koen that I had a client in labor and she was going to have her baby today and it was my job to help her have her baby. I tried to make it sound like a fun activity that we were going to hurry to my house and pack up my car with my supplies before I took him home.

While I was loading my supplies in the car Koen had a few questions.  He was wondering if the mama giving birth was going to bleed.  I'll admit I though twice about how to answer.  The quick and easy would have been to say no and move on. I'm sure it's no surprise that I decided to explain that yes, most moms bleed when having a baby. He didn't seem too upset about this but he did want to make sure I had some band-aids with me.

The grandkids know EXACTLY where all of my band-aids are so he promptly went into my office, opened the band-aids and brought one to me. I had it in my pocket which reminded me to share the story (along with the band-aid in my pocket) with the mom.


3 comments:

The Davis Family said...

So happy another baby is here.... and I LOVE the story! It's one of those perfect kidisms that makes me so happy to be a mommy (and hopefully someday a grandma!).

breathethelove said...

That is so cute!

Kelli said...

It really was adorable.