Wednesday, May 19, 2010


The title is a little misleading, because the book isn't really about God. It is about meditation and spiritual practices. The book is based on the authors scientific studies of how meditation and other spiritual practices can permanently strengthen neural functioning in specific parts of the brain that aid in lowering anxiety and depression, enhancing social awareness and empathy, and improving cognitive functioning

It's a heavy scientific book, but it's content keeps me interested. I got it from the library, but I think I'm going to have to buy my own copy so I can mark it up and take my time finishing it. Plus it was due back to the library yesterday and I was unable to renew it online. I guess there is a waiting list for it.

I can't stop talking about this book! I am so intrigued by the power of our brain and how little we understand about that power. We have the power to change our brain, therefore to change our life!

I have always believed in the power of positive thinking. I had the same reaction when I read The Secret. What we think and what we believe is who we are. Focusing on this has helped me immensely in my struggle to overcome depression. As I have spent the last three weeks meditating on positive attributes I have come to appreciate myself and my world even more.

Last week was a particularly difficult week. I knew some particular things were going to be hard and I was mentally preparing myself. I chose to meditate daily (the book suggests that changes do not occur unless there is a minimum of 12 minutes of meditation daily). During this meditation I focused on LOVE. I am love and I am loved.

During the conflicts I was able to maintain my sense of self, of love and empathy and being present in the moment. I was able to communicate my feelings and to hear others feelings without judgment. It brought me closer to my husband in a way that I have not felt in a long time. It allowed him to be open and honest, too. I am so grateful for the challenge and the way I went through it, because by the end of the week I knew without any doubt that I was stronger because of it.

No comments: