Monday, May 10, 2010

The Mother's Day I wanted.






My own mother spends Mother's Day away, to which I say "Good for you, Mom!". I struggle with the holiday, all the expectations crammed into one day. I've been trying over the years to let go of these expectations and just let it be what it is. And since the holiday falls on a Sunday this complicates it even further. Sunday's are a big day around here. Talk about expectations! Whew! We are expected to go to church and keep the sabbath holy.

I threw all those expectations out the window this year and did what I wanted to do. I woke up with a killer headache, so I took the time to nurture myself and let the medication kick in. I sat in the sun with my tea and called my sister. It was wonderful to spend the morning with my sister!

I went to the Milwaukie Farmer's market and bought flowers and vegetables and soup. And my sweetie went with me. It was fun to watch him interact with the man selling nuts as he sampled the hottest flavors they had!

Then we went to breakfast at Hales. Emilia came with us and we made plans to BBQ later with the boys.

I spent the afternoon with my girls at a Mad Hatter's Tea Party that Savannah's church group had planned. It was very sweet and fun and I was proud of Savannah who was proud of herself for all the work she and her friends had put into it. One of the games we played was how well do you know your daughter/mother and we all realized we know each other pretty well! For the hat decorating contest Savannah said me and Emilia were the creative ones, so we worked together to design a crazy hat that Savannah modeled. We were all happy that we won a prize for our hat!



After BBQ'ing burgers (that Parker wanted to make sure really was grass fed beef, since he watched Food, Inc. last week...that's my boy!), we hung out by the fire making S'mores. Even Tyler came home and sat for awhile. Surrounded by my family was the best part of the day. (Sitting in the sun all morning was pretty awesome, too)


I ended the day with a long conversation with a great friend that I don't get to talk to very often. It was fun and she reminded me of some good things, and that helped a lot. I'm tired this morning, but it was well worth the late night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a perfect way to spend the day!!!