Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Family Sleepover

Kathy, Rene, Mario, Kelli, Savannah and Amos. Tyler was taking the picture.


Rene and Mario



I really love entertaining. Usually it's my family or our closest friends, who are just like family, that we are entertaining. And it's usually just a meal or game night.

I love cleaning the house, preparing the food and using my best dishes.

But having Mario's brother Rene and his wife Kathy stay with us was an extra special entertaining. I guess because I don't really know them it felt like I was really hosting guests. I spent two days cleaning the house. REALLY cleaning. Like scrubbing the silverware drawer and sweeping away cobwebs. I even got the dust bunnies under my bed! Now that felt good.

I made reservations at a restaurant in West Linn, five-o-three . I realized on the way there that it wasn't such a smart idea to take out of town guests to a restaurant you yourself have never been to. My choice was based on the fact that I had a gift certificate to use (so me!), but the choice turned out to be a good one. The portions were not large, but the freshness and flavor were wonderful. The waiter was helpful in helping me choose a dish that would work with my dietary restrictions. The only difference I would make next time is to NOT share a dish with Mario. I wish I'd had the full order to myself!

We had a lovely visit and stayed up late after dinner eating popcorn and visiting. They are a lovely couple. As Savannah put it, they just seem so nice and perfect, and yet sincere. The next morning Mario had to leave before any of us woke up, but I loved preparing a breakfast of eggs, french toast and orange slices for the rest of us. I thought it might be awkward to be home alone with them, but it was not. It was comfortable the way it should be with family. Mario's family always makes me feel this way.

I hope we will have many more opportunities to spend time with those we love!

1 comment:

Danelle Grossnickle said...

Having family stay is the BEST!