Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I almost always love my job. Not today.

I was going to put that as my status update on facebook this morning. I was feeling overly tired and a little bit angry. For the second time in the last three weeks I spent the night with a "laboring" mama, who wasn't really in labor. 

I'm not sure why I was feeling angry, other than the fact I was too tired and wondered how I missed that she wasn't really laboring. I guess it didn't help that after a few hours of sleep I was woken up by the school calling because my daughter didn't make it to school this morning, despite my stern emphasis on telling her as I left for the birth last night that she needed to get herself up for school in the morning.

I was pretty angry at her when I had to get her out of bed and take her to school.

I usually love my job. Really I do.

But when I endure all the less than desirable aspects of my job....and there wasn't even a birth and adorable baby at the end of it, those less desirable aspects become pretty annoying. I knew that I would be tired all day. I knew that it would be difficult to eat well, as I crave bad food when I'm overly tired. I knew that I essentially I would lose an entire day to tiredness and lack of motivation.

Not to mention I worried "what if she really goes into labor tonight and I miss another night of sleep?" Because you see, I'm still on call.

For me, losing sleep and being on call are the most difficult things, and no matter how long I do this those things do not get easier.

On the plus side one of my clients didn't get my message that I wanted to cancel appointments today so I got to play with these cute guys!



No comments: