Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day 2012

I've had my share of Mother's Days that were less than idyllic. I think this is a struggle for many mothers. I know it is for many of my friends. We can't help but to have expectations and want to be recognized for the work that we do. Then there is the risk that even if you have a decent Mother's Day, it doesn't make up for the lack of respect we get the rest of the year.

When my children were young I loved their excitement at giving me the little handmade gifts that they so lovingly worked on at school. I loved these treasures and still hold on to many of them, tucked away in my drawers and cupboards.

Most Mother's Days I just wanted a break....from the cooking, the fighting, the same ol' same ol' of being a mom. The perfect gift would have been to have my family clean the house spotless, prepare me some food and then leave the house for the entire day. (Sometimes you just don't want to leave your house to get some peace and quiet.)

My life is different now and my kids are much older. A few years ago I decided to let go of my expectations and create my own perfect Mother's Day. I went to the farmer's market and bought some good food, I went on a walk, I didn't go to church and I relaxed. My family barbequed in the evening and we hung out. That was my best Mother's Day.

Until yesterday.

I truly had no expectations. The night before I went to the grocery store and bought some food to barbeque in the afternoon, as some of the kids said they would come visit. The weather was supposed to be hot and glorious.

In the morning me and Mario took the dog on a walk. It was sunny and hot. I was dreaming of gluten free blueberry pancakes and decided I would splurge and make some when I got home. When I got home I was surprised to see Savannah's car in the driveway, especially that early in the morning! As I approached the door I heard bacon sizzling. I walked into the house and there were Savannah, Spencer, Jordan and Emilia fixing a big breakfast. (Parker showed up later and got the job of cleanup). It was such a wonderful surprise.



After breakfast we had a lively discussion that got a little heated and I honestly thought it might ruin the day. But everyone recovered. The girls wouldn't let me lift a finger (but I did, just a little.)

We spent the afternoon downtown at the Saturday Market.....eating more food! (The boys stayed home to finish the clean up.)

Not that any of us were hungry (except the pregnant one) but we then barbequed a wonderful dinner and sat outside in the warmth to eat.

Later the girls and Spencer and I went to get ice cream where they asked me how this Mother's Day rated. "Definitely in the top two Mother's Days I've had!"


I got some sweet gifts.....
Yes, that is a Chipotle gift card...don't be jealous!
Mom's Pamper Pack

My favorite color.
But honestly the gifts had NOTHING to do with what made this a good day. What made it the best day was that my kids took the time to not only surprise me but to hang out with me all day. I loved that! Thank you Parker, Jordan, Savannah, Emilia, Spencer and Mario for creating a great Mother's Day for me. I love you.

No comments: