Saturday, December 4, 2010

Turkey Day

Our Beautiful Bird

Since I've worked to change our food buying practices this last year I didn't feel right settling for the "free" grocery store turkey this year. It went against everything I've been doing. I bit the bullet and paid the price. 
And it was worth it.

When the farm we purchased it from (Family2Family Farm) posted on facebook that it was turkey day I was excited that one of those turkeys was going to be sitting on my table Thanksgiving day. It felt right driving to the farm and meeting the family that just the day before had butchered my turkey. 

I was nervous that I would end up with a dry turkey and wondered if I should do something special to my turkey. I have never worried about this with grocery store turkeys as they have added salt and fluids. You can never touch a baster to them and have a moist bird. (In reality I just typed birth instead of bird and had to change it. I find this very humorous!) But in the end I just mixed the fresh herbs the farm included, along with some from my own garden with some butter and smothered that bird. I put it in a baking bag and went shopping. When I arrived home the bird was done and the meat was falling off the bones, moist and tender.

Like I said before....

It was worth it.

And, I feel good about my choices.  

 I had to add this picture of Amos trying to get to the turkey. When we brought it home G and Amos followed us from the door to the kitchen and both were trying to get to it. By the time I got to my camera G was gone. 

2 comments:

MamaT said...

I'm a commenting maniac tonight. BUT, I'm still laughing. That is true about birth. I totally learned from you not to touch the baster to anything for a good, moist birth.

Kelli said...

Love it! You make me laugh. And I'm going to miss the hell out of you. There will need to be lots of facebook and blog commenting from now on.

I love the birth analogy, I think this is true about many things in life....just leave it alone and it will be fine. Other things....not so much!