Saturday, December 4, 2010

Sleep Study


I had my sleep study last night. I had an appointment for 6 weeks from now, but I asked to be put on a wait list to get in earlier because I am off call right now. I didn't expect to get a call just a few hours after I made the appointment! I had to say no to that one, but then got called two days later. With not much time to prepare I didn't get the sleeping pill that was recommended. I did have a killer headache and postponed taking my medication for that until bedtime because it usually makes me very sleepy.

Well, I was incredibly tired, but DID NOT sleep. The sleep study is useless if you don't sleep. I am frustrated that I didn't take the time to get the sleeping pill, and for feeling like I probably wasted my entire sleepless night and won't get an accurate account of my sleeping issues.

I wish I didn't have this sleep anxiety that makes it difficult to sleep in unusual situations. I spent the night telling myself to GO TO SLEEP which made it even more difficult to get the task done. OK, and look at that picture of me. It was very uncomfortable to have wires attached to my entire body (even my legs had attachments), belts across my chest and stomach, and the worst of all.....things in my nose! I already have issues with my nose itching all the time. I thought those were going to drive me insane!

So today I feel the same as I do when I've been up all night at a birth! But with a lot more frustration. And wondering if I will have to repeat this test or just not get the results I was hoping to.

I will say one thing for sure, if I need to repeat the sleep study I will be taking major drugs.

2 comments:

Marin said...

My dad did one of those several months back and had the same issues! Slept worse than ever! (if he slept at all) They wanted him to come back, but has yet to try it again. There has got to be a better, more comfortable way!

Kelli said...

I am so glad to hear that about your dad!

I was mad at myself for a couple of days, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who was unsuccessful.