Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Meditation Post #1

While I was reading the book "How God Changes Your Brain" I was anxious to skip ahead to the suggested meditations. But I chose instead to read the book entirely before getting to the meditations.

But I did begin my own meditation program. The thing about it is, I don't think there is a definitive right or wrong way to do meditation. I have had small introductions to meditation during my years of yoga study. What I remember is that you try to empty your mind of all clutter and thought processes. If thoughts creep into your mind you notice them, don't stress about it, and let it go.

I pieced some things together from my readings and came up with my own meditation. I knew my primary focus was to clear my depression and deal with my anxiety concerning a specific situation and people. I found some great music on itunes (try to find something that is at least 12 minutes long, or easy to repeat). I chose a Tibetan healing sound. I then found a quiet space and while listening to the music I focused on one word or affirmation, repeating it over and over in my mind. According to the authors/scientists it is even more effective to do this out loud as a chant or song. If you don't want to use a a specific word or affirmation you can also use the words sa ta na ma or om (click to find out more about these words). The other thing I did was focus my eyes, while closed, on the third eye chakra. This helps me keep my thoughts more focused on my intention. This is just my personal preference.

There is one important thing to remember when you choose your word or affirmation. It MUST be a positive word or affirmation. Meditating on a negative will do harm to you. I will give you an example. If you want to resolve a conflict with another person do not use an affirmation like: I want to stop arguing. Instead choose something like: I will have love for....., My heart will be open, I am understanding, etc.

Another great way to begin a meditation practice is to find a guided meditation (again, on itunes, or purchase a CD). These meditations will have music and a soothing voice that will guide you through a meditation.

There are three things to consider before beginning to meditate:

1. Intention. What is the goal you want to manifest in your life? Everything we do has an underlying intention, whether we are conscious of it or not. Clarify what your intention is.

2. Relaxation. Begin by consciously relaxing your body. Focus on your breathing. The breath helps you to stay focused on your intention by slowing down your mental busy-ness.

3. Awareness. Begin to focus your awareness on your breathing, your body, the temperature, sounds and your mindfulness.

I hope this helps you begin your own meditation practice. Let go and see what happens. I can not believe the changes that have occurred in my mind and health. I am just beginning this journey and happy to take you along with me.

No comments: