I don't have many pictures of myself while working at a birth. At one of the births I attended this week the grandma took some great pictures and there were many of me. I thought it would be fun to share a little glimpe into the home birth experience.

When we arrive to a birth one of the first things we do it set up the equipment. Here is my birth bag and oxygen tank. I use a cutting board to put a heating pad on with layers of baby blankets, baby hats and the newborn stethoscope. The cutting board serves as a warm and firm surface if we need to perform CPR on a baby. I also cover a cookie sheet with a disposable pad and place all of the things I need handy for the actual moment of birth. Most of them we don't use, but they are close by if needed. This tray allows us to move it from room to room and be ready wherever the mom wants to birth. On the tray are gloves, herbs, medications for bleeding, mirror, flashlight, instuments (umbilical scissors and clamps), and guaze.

We listen to fetal heart tones with a doppler about every 30 minutes during active labor. Here I am listening while mom is on her hands and knees and dad is giving support.

Awww, the magical part of birth. This baby was born with her cord around her neck and wrapped around her body. I needed to somersault her in the water to get it loose enough to unwind. At one point she was upside down and it was funny looking. This is just as I am helping mom lift the baby out of the water. I don't always lift the baby to the mom, but in this situation I did because of the cord. It's nice when mom and dad can be the ones to touch their baby first.

After the birth we are monitoring the mom and baby, and most of that monitoring is done just like this. Sitting or standing around and watching. I want the parents to have as much undisturbed time as possible. Mom will let us know when she's ready to get out of the tub or if she feels the placenta is coming.

A couple of hours after the birth we do a newborn examination. He we are measuring the baby.

Weighing the baby on our scale. (A client's husband made this sling for my scale and I love it. I also have a blue one,)

This baby was struggling with her respirations, so we were monitoring her frequently after the birth. We always want to make sure things are improving and act quickly if they are not. She is doing well now!
4 comments:
Kelli--
Cool to see what you do! Two births in one weekend! Wow!
Cindy
This makes me want to go back to school so badly. What great pics.
Also gives me the willies knowing I will have to do that in the next few weeks!!
Mais
Very cool! I love the whole line up of pictures! I wish I could have been there too:)
LOVE it! Thanks for sharing! :)
Post a Comment