Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Feeling Sad

I do love my job, but there are times when the sacrifice just seems too much, that the job shouldn't come first, before things that are very important. I am sitting at home, missing my mother in law's funeral, because I have one more client due. I am missing the opportunity to support my husband and commune with his family. I am feeling guilty because I think I made the wrong choice.

But the choices I had were not good. I could not drive to Utah with Mario and the boys and be gone for one week. But to fly at the last minute to be there for only one or two days was expensive. Add to that the cost of paying someone else to be on call for me and possibly pay them even more money to be at the birth.

Well, I'm just feeling sorry for myself at this point.

Here are some of my favorite pictures of my dear mother in law that were taken at our wedding a little over two years ago.

I think this is such a beautiful picture of Angelita. I love her smile. I love all of her wrinkles, showing the years she has lived and loved.

One of the things that I love so much about Mario, is the deep love he has for his sweet mother. I don't know if I've met a man who had more love and respect for his mom.





She was almost 94 years old and still dancing!



I do remember the first time I met this fine lady. It was a long time before I was dating Mario. It was probably about 10 years ago. My family would spend the week of spring break at a boy scout camp at the coast with our friends the Knowles and Spravzoff's. The kids would often bring friends and this year Chial came. Mario and his mom came down to spend the day with us. I remember her sweet disposition. I remember her sitting in a chair outside our cabin, enjoying the ocean view.

When Mario and I were dating and it time for me to formally meet his family we planned a trip to Utah. I was also on call at that time! But these two mama's went way overdue and I made the decision that I couldn't cancel my trip and I went anyway. I had a lovely weekend and came home to two still pregnant mama's.

Before going to meet his family I was a little nervous about the language barrier. I asked Mario if his mother spoke any english. He said she spoke a little. That was an exaggeration! She spoke as much english as I did spanish. But from that experience I learned how much you can communicate with someone without understanding the words being spoken. I felt of her love for her family, her love and acceptance of me and her sweet spirit. Each time we have visited I have loved my time with her. Last year when we brought Savannah and Emilia with us she was just as sweet and loving to them. We all love her so.

She left this earth on Saturday, October 17th around 7am. She left peacefully to be with her husband and children waiting for her in Heaven. We find comfort in knowing that she is in the arms of the Lord and we will see her again someday.


Update:
After writing this post I had a good cry, my stomach was turning and my heart was hurting and I realized I really had made the wrong decision. I found another midwife to cover me for 24 hours, called my client and booked my flight. I am on my way to Utah. It was the right thing to do. I pray that my client won't go into labor, but if she does, it's ok. She doesn't really need me anyway. And it's just money. It doesn't mean anything. The important thing is that my wonderful husband needs me and I am going to be there. Now, I feel so much better.

2 comments:

Danelle Grossnickle said...

That was just beautiful! You should take comfort in knowing your gift as a midwife is a calling from Heavenly Father and He knows the sacrifices that you have to make sometimes to give that gift. You mother in law will also know what a sacrifice it was for you to miss her funeral but what a blessing it was for you to stay to tend to a mother to be!

MamaT said...

Kelli, I'm so glad you made the decision to go. We will be fine if it happens tonight, but in reality, we'll probably still be waiting for awhile when you get back right? I love the photos of Angelita--she was such a beautiful woman and I love how you write that her wrinkles showing the years she lived and loved. May we all have such a long and loving life as hers.