The garden was put in very late this year. I didn't want a repeat of last year, which was I put the garden in very early and then we had weeks and weeks (months?) of rain and I lost just about everything. Plus having the chickens free ranging the yard didn't help because whatever was growing they were eating!
So the garden went in much later than I had planned. I bought almost all of my starts at Grocery Outlet. I know, who'd of thought? But they were all organic and cheap and I was there so it made it easy. All that rain we had most of the summer made my garden lush and green. And just as I wondered if I would actually get any fruit on those vines they appeared! Zucchini, broccoli, cucumbers, spinach, lettuce, snow peas. Yellow squash are beginning to appear. Waiting on the carrots. Last week got a few handfuls of cherry tomatoes and I'm waiting on the rest of the tomatoes to redden up. Most of my tomato plants are heirloom, my favorite! My cauliflower plants are big but I don't see anything on them yet.
The chickens have a new home so they aren't free ranging in my garden anymore. This means not only more vegatables, but more eggs, as I don't have to scour the yard looking for all of their sneaky hiding places to lay eggs. Right now we are getting anywhere from 5-10 eggs a day (usually around 6-8). I LOVE having an abundance of eggs in my fridge.
Believe it or not I also LOVE the abundance of zucchini. It has been years since I've grown a prolific zucchini plant, which was beginning to mess with my confidence! I'm running out of ideas for the cucumbers, though. If anyone has any ideas or recipes let me know!
And come on tomatoes.....I'm eagerly awaiting your arrival!

No comments:
Post a Comment