Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Chai Cream of Rice Cereal

I have a crockpot recipe that I have loved to use. Roughly it's about 2parts apple juice to one part steel cut oats in the crock pot, add cinnamon and chopped apples if you'd like. Bake on low overnight and in the morning not only does your house smell wonderful, you have a hot and hearty breakfast waiting for you. You could substitute your favorite grain for the steel cut oats. And I usually substitute water for some of the apple juice (or just dilute the apple juice) because it's too sweet for me.

I've been wanting to share this accidental breakfast recipe, based on the above recipe, that I tried recently.

This isn't the cereal I made. I found this picture online. But it looks just like it!

A couple weeks ago I had a container of liquid chai tea mix that needed to be used up. I had this idea to make my crockpot cereal with it. I threw in the chai and about half as much creamy rice farina and it was wonderful. Less sweet than the apple juice recipe and more spice.

No comments: