Friday, February 25, 2011

Four births in three and half weeks. Whew, what a whirl wind! Only one birth happened at night, one I got called at 4am, two were only daytime hours. And I had adequate recovery time between every birth. Amazing! If I could always count on that I might be tempted to continue being a busy midwife.

This last birth I attended did end up in the hospital. The mom was having severe back labor with an OP baby. We gave her so much support and encouragement and she was able to continue on after some tense moments. Ultimately it was her choice to transfer care and get pain relief. I hate going to the hospital and in this political climate I have become uncharacteristically nervous about what to expect. Add to that that this labor took place in Washington and I was transferring to a Washington hospital. 

Aside from a few annoying moments (and people) this was one of the VERY best transports I have done. About an hour after we arrived my client got a new shift nurse and she was amazing. She also had a student nurse working with her. They both had many people in their lives who had had homebirths (though they themselves did not), and seemed to have an understanding and respect of homebirth as a choice in childbirth. They were so open to all of our requests. They were mellow, funny and respectful. I sent them a note telling them thank you for the care they gave my client.

The flip side of these beautiful births is that I had two new clients lose their babies this past week. Such a sad disappointment!

But still, my heart is full as I end this busy February.

I'm feeling a little guilty because I did not go to our Oregon Midwifery Council conference today. I had to take Savannah to work because her car is in the shop and by the time I would have gotten there I would have been so late.

I AM feeling good about how productive I was, though. I got so many errands done and did not mind spending so much time in my car today because it was SUNNY and though it was about 30 degrees outside, the sun was warm in my car.

Just got a pot of soup going (beef and barley), waiting for my sweetie to get home and watching Dianna Ross on Oprah. That woman is beautiful and talented. And I'm singing along to "I'm coming out. I want the world to know, got to let it show"!!!!!!

That sun is energizing!

1 comment:

breathethelove said...

Oooh, that photo makes me want to be at a birth. The sun gives us so much hope, doesn't it? A gratitude for sure.