Sunday, May 3, 2009

One Of My Favorite Things

Lilac's
The sweet smell of spring, and one of my favorite of God's creations.

I am lucky enough to have one tree in my back yard with large, succulent blooms that appear fairly early in spring. They remind me of my childhood. We had a purple tree and a white tree in our backyard. (I liked the purple variety best). I would pick them and fill my mom's house with their sweet scent. I would use them to fill handmade May day baskets that my friends and I would secretly place on the neighbors door.

Now I love it when I see the buds on my own tree and know that in just a matter of days I will be able to enjoy their glory. They don't last long, so I have been picking bunches every few days and filling my home with the sweet reminder of my childhood. Just today I went out to cut a few more flowers to refill the vases and noticed the brown petals appearing. The end of another lilac season is near. But something wonderful will soon be here in it's place!

1 comment:

Danelle Grossnickle said...

I love them too. Mine come on like a week after everyone else's due to all of our trees and the shade but they are so WONDERFUL!