Monday, November 21, 2011

Holiday Giving





We try to find a project to do every year that will include the kids that involves giving to the community or needy children/families.  This year I was introduced to Operation Christmas Child. It seemed like a fun activity that me and Emilia could do together.  You fill a shoe box with toys, school supplies and personal items for a child. You wrap the box and include a small donation to cover the cost of mailing the box. The box will travel to another country and be given to a needy child.  I was able to register my boxes online, pay the mailing fee and print a bar code that will track my box and let me know the country that my boxes end up in.

Because older children have the fewest donation we decided to do an older boy and an older girl and we also did a younger boy. We found several toys and crafts for each box, as well as candy, socks, hair ties and hygiene kits for each child.  You are also asked to pray for the child who will receive your box as well as include a picture of yourself with a note.

It is too late to do it this year but I highly recommend it for next year.  Please visit this website for more information.


Another resource I found for Christmas giving : Willamette Weeks Give!Guide 2011
Many worthy organizations to donate to.

No comments: