Tuesday, July 5, 2011

It's that most wonderful time of the year.....

STRAWBERRY SEASON


So in honor of my annual love of the short Oregon strawberry season in which I spend too much money on fresh strawberries and gorge myself for a few weeks, here is this years winner of best use of these delicious berries!

Gluten free strawberry pie
I used a gluten free crust (so much easier) and pre-baked it.
I mixed 6 ounces of cream cheese with some sugar and a few strawberries, then spread on the bottom and sides of the cooled crust. The strawberries added to the cream cheese made the mixture a little thin, but I still liked it. You could just used cream cheese with a little sugar.
Fill the crust with whole strawberries. I also cut some in half to fill in every little space.
Cover with strawberry glaze:

  1. In a sauce pan, put 1 cup sliced berries, ½ cup sugar, salt, and ¼ cup water. Bring to boil.
  2. Cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
  3. Mix 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup water. Add to sauce pan.
  4.  Return to heat. Stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
  5. Allow to cool. 
  6.  
YUMMY!!!!!!!

No comments: