
I heard a rumor that Dr. Phil was doing a show on homebirths gone bad. I debated whether I wanted to waste my time writing a letter to the show, but in the end I decided one more letter urging Dr. Phil to go another direction wouldn't be a waste of time. I expected an automated response email, but was surprised to find an email in my inbox a few days later from the production assistant of a new show, "The Doctors", which Dr. Phil's son is producing. He requested that I send a picture of myself, my husband and my mom (my mom?) to be considered to be a guest on the show. He also asked me to answer five questions. I considered deleting the whole thing, because there is NO WAY I would be a guest on the show. Instead, I answered the questions honestly and was rather proud of my response. Ultimately, I hope I make a small difference to someone, somewhere.
Here is the letter they sent me, followed by my letter of response.
Hi Kelli –
I read through your email regarding home birthing and midwives and thought you might be a good fit for a show we are doing. We have an incredible team of doctors who will be hosting a new medical show premiering this Fall. The new show, called "The Doctors," features a team of medical professionals discussing a range of various health-related topics and answering unique questions from viewers. The doctors include Dr. Travis Stork (ER Doctor), Dr. Lisa Masterson (OB-GYN), Dr Jim Sears (Pediatrician) and Dr. Andrew Ordon (Plastic Surgeon).
I would love to hear more of your story to consider you for this new medical show. At this point, I will need for you to do the following for me right away. Be sure to respond as thoroughly as possible.
Email me recent pictures of yourself, your husband and your mom. Include a full body shot as well as an up-close smiling shot.
1) Give 5 clear examples of how home birthing is good/beneficial.
2) Why do YOU believe some people are against home birthing?
3) How does one handle a home birthing?
4) How does one prepare for home birthing?
5) List 3 questions you would have for our expert doctors.
Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon!
Dear Mr. Simon,
I would love to answer your questions, in spite of the fact that I am not interested in being on a show to "debate" homebirth. I am not a good debater! As in my previous email I stated that there are many in my field who are better equipped to take that challenge on. Also as I stated in my previous email to the Dr. Phil show I would highly recommend that you contact Ricki Lake to be on your show. She is well known and regarded, she has done a documentary about homebirth and I'm sure would be a perfect guest for your show. Because of her documentary she would also be able to steer you in the direction of those who would better be able to take on your subject in a public forum.
To answer your questions:
1. Home birth is ONE option for pregnant women. Women should have options and be able to find information that is accurate regarding their birthing choices. Because homebirth is only an option for healthy women with healthy pregnancies, it has been shown statistically to be just as safe as hospital birth for women and babies. Midwives who attend homebirths have been trained for the job that they do-attending normal vaginal birth. (OB's are not trained in normal, vaginal birth, they are surgeons). In a homebirth a women is allowed to birth however she wants, meaning she can eat, drink, move around, get in a birth tub, and her or her partner can catch their own baby. The couple make choices about any procedures or testing that they want done. And a woman who is able to go into labor in her home and doesn't have to leave her home, and is left to labor on her own time line, and is attended by midwives that she knows and trusts, will feel safe. Safety, both physically and emotionally is important to the process of labor.
2. I believe some people are against homebirth because of fear, and lack of information. If they looked at the facts and realized that this is a PERSONAL choice, they should not be so afraid. We should not tell women how to birth, just as we don't tell people how to vote, or how to worship. It is none of our business. But for some reason in this culture when a woman is pregnant we think we can give her all of our great advice!
3. If a client hires a homebirth midwife, then they have regular prenatal appointments, on the same schedule they would if they were seeing an OB. They are offered the same testing options, the only difference being I give all of my clients a full, written informed consent about any testing option available so they can make an informed decision. They need to have a few basic supplies in their home for the birth near the end of pregnancy, but I bring most of the needed supplies. When they go into labor they call me and we consult by phone until the woman is ready for me and my assistant to be there. When we arrive we monitor mom and baby continuously during and after the birth. After the birth we do a newborn exam, administer any medications to the baby that the parents have chosen, clean up (which is NOT as bad as most people think), make sure mom and baby are stable before we tuck them in bed and leave. We also do at least 3 home visits in the first week postpartum to make sure mom and baby are healthy and nursing is going well.
4. I think I answered most of that in the previous question. I would add that some couples decide to do childbirth education, but most don't. Our prenatal visits last one hour and we spend most of that time talking about questions the parents have, so that by the time labor begins they feel comfortable and confident in the procedure. We try to deal with any fears that come up prenatally.
5. I would ask the doctors if and why they are threatened by women having the choice to birth at home. I have heard recently that ACOG has made homebirth it's number 2 legislative issue. WHY? Is there a way for midwives and doctors to bridge the gap so that we could attain the ideal relationship of working together to serve ALL women? In my community the midwives have worked hard to come together with the CNM's and OB's in our hospitals that we transport to and it has been successful for us, which is ultimately better for our clients because they get the care they need in a respectful way.
Thank you for the opportunity to share my beliefs with you. I do feel passionate about homebirth and the belief that all women should have a choice in how they birth. I hope if you use homebirth as a subject on your show it will be give the respect it deserves, and not be used as a way to demean those who choose to birth at home and those who choose midwifery as their career. Birth is safe. And yet, sometimes we have bad outcomes. This is life. There are no guarantees.
I would love to answer your questions, in spite of the fact that I am not interested in being on a show to "debate" homebirth. I am not a good debater! As in my previous email I stated that there are many in my field who are better equipped to take that challenge on. Also as I stated in my previous email to the Dr. Phil show I would highly recommend that you contact Ricki Lake to be on your show. She is well known and regarded, she has done a documentary about homebirth and I'm sure would be a perfect guest for your show. Because of her documentary she would also be able to steer you in the direction of those who would better be able to take on your subject in a public forum.
To answer your questions:
1. Home birth is ONE option for pregnant women. Women should have options and be able to find information that is accurate regarding their birthing choices. Because homebirth is only an option for healthy women with healthy pregnancies, it has been shown statistically to be just as safe as hospital birth for women and babies. Midwives who attend homebirths have been trained for the job that they do-attending normal vaginal birth. (OB's are not trained in normal, vaginal birth, they are surgeons). In a homebirth a women is allowed to birth however she wants, meaning she can eat, drink, move around, get in a birth tub, and her or her partner can catch their own baby. The couple make choices about any procedures or testing that they want done. And a woman who is able to go into labor in her home and doesn't have to leave her home, and is left to labor on her own time line, and is attended by midwives that she knows and trusts, will feel safe. Safety, both physically and emotionally is important to the process of labor.
2. I believe some people are against homebirth because of fear, and lack of information. If they looked at the facts and realized that this is a PERSONAL choice, they should not be so afraid. We should not tell women how to birth, just as we don't tell people how to vote, or how to worship. It is none of our business. But for some reason in this culture when a woman is pregnant we think we can give her all of our great advice!
3. If a client hires a homebirth midwife, then they have regular prenatal appointments, on the same schedule they would if they were seeing an OB. They are offered the same testing options, the only difference being I give all of my clients a full, written informed consent about any testing option available so they can make an informed decision. They need to have a few basic supplies in their home for the birth near the end of pregnancy, but I bring most of the needed supplies. When they go into labor they call me and we consult by phone until the woman is ready for me and my assistant to be there. When we arrive we monitor mom and baby continuously during and after the birth. After the birth we do a newborn exam, administer any medications to the baby that the parents have chosen, clean up (which is NOT as bad as most people think), make sure mom and baby are stable before we tuck them in bed and leave. We also do at least 3 home visits in the first week postpartum to make sure mom and baby are healthy and nursing is going well.
4. I think I answered most of that in the previous question. I would add that some couples decide to do childbirth education, but most don't. Our prenatal visits last one hour and we spend most of that time talking about questions the parents have, so that by the time labor begins they feel comfortable and confident in the procedure. We try to deal with any fears that come up prenatally.
5. I would ask the doctors if and why they are threatened by women having the choice to birth at home. I have heard recently that ACOG has made homebirth it's number 2 legislative issue. WHY? Is there a way for midwives and doctors to bridge the gap so that we could attain the ideal relationship of working together to serve ALL women? In my community the midwives have worked hard to come together with the CNM's and OB's in our hospitals that we transport to and it has been successful for us, which is ultimately better for our clients because they get the care they need in a respectful way.
Thank you for the opportunity to share my beliefs with you. I do feel passionate about homebirth and the belief that all women should have a choice in how they birth. I hope if you use homebirth as a subject on your show it will be give the respect it deserves, and not be used as a way to demean those who choose to birth at home and those who choose midwifery as their career. Birth is safe. And yet, sometimes we have bad outcomes. This is life. There are no guarantees.
3 comments:
Hear, Hear!! Awesome response!
What I tried to say and mispelled was that was an awesome response. You handled yourself in a very educated and grounded way! Way to go girl!
Post a Comment